Wednesday, 17 April 2013

The Wo-man in the Mirror

The title of this post comes from the famous Micheal Jackson song Man the mirror. For those of you who have heard the song you will, I hope realize the significance of the post. For those of you who haven't, you simply must.

The reason this post comes laden with pretext is because of what happened yesterday. yesterday as I got into work at 10:15 running a little late thanks to the Delhi Metro, all I was concerned with was reaching office and starting work. As I finally marched into office and powered up my computer, I was already is a foul mood since the internet was acting up. Finally, at around 11 I finally logged on to Twitter and that is when I saw it. Twitter-sphere was rife with news about the Boston Marathon bombing


Although my heart went out to the little 8 year old girl who had lost her life today and the others, I am embarrassed to say I wasn't all that perturbed. I may be only 23 (yes according to SOME that is young) but  growing up in the 21st century where terrorism is more a way of life than a global problem, we all tend to become somewhat apathetic to the problem. 

While scanning twitter I can across the following post by @WOLwealthonline (Wealth Online), you can find out more about them at:  wealthonline.com.au.


At first I retweeted as the post urged, but about 10 seconds later I started becoming progressively more appalled. I mean isn't it bad enough that we live in a world where there is so much violence all around that we are no longer horrified by it? now people are looking to gain reputation out of it? I mean if you really want to just GIVE the money, just do it! but for God's sake don't attach conditions to it!

So I posted the following Tweet. 


After which life intruded on all my good intentions. The rest of the day in office was agony, between non responsive wi-fi, an earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter Scale and a terrible headache I was pretty much in hell. 

So finally when I got home around 10 and was able to get on to the net I went back to see if anyone at Wealth Online had bothered to even reply.

They hadn't. 

However, I did find the following two tweets. Even though they aren't phrased to my liking, I'm still glad they did something about it.  



And this is when I started thinking about the Micheal Jackson song and I made a promise to myself. "I'm starting with the wo-man in the mirror I'm asking her to change her ways, and no message could have been any clearer, if you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself, and then make a change."

So if I am outraged, or saddened or just concerned about something, it is imperative that I speak out, because sometimes a little courage and action on your part go long way, and you might be surprised how much difference one person can make.

In the words of the renowned Polish Author, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel, “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest”.

10 comments:

  1. Greed does tend to distort perception of morals and ethics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it does, and that is why, in the words of Prof. Wiesel we must never fail to protest against it. :)

      Delete
  2. Well done for speaking up for what you believe in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one... Anybody advocating peace can't do so without having enough courage to stand up for it. Dignity of life must form the bedrock of any civilisation that hopes to create a peaceful society in the true sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. Peace like faith in my mind = daily life. You cant preach about it, you have to actually live it through your life. And as someone very wise I know says, earnest heartfelt dialogue forms the basis of any peace effort. ;)

      Delete
    2. Also Deb, do check out the post Faith = Daily life, I have a feeling you might like it. :)

      Delete
  4. So.. your point about the retweet donation thing actually catching up with me.. fully agree.. and as per America's apathy.. terrorism and murder isn't a way of life standards that they set for themselves .. we.. we have let ourselves be fooled into believing that you can't do anything bout it.
    The mentality is ours to blame..

    ReplyDelete
  5. After i read this it struck to me that all the retweets and shares and likes done by me have been in vain...realization to do 'Samaaj Sewa' must come from within and not by the help of people busy in their social circles...
    Not only for Boston but even for those killed in the bomb blasts in the Middle East must be paid heed to...afterall we all r humans and the thing which binds us together is HUMANITY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. >>>> if you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself, and then make a change."

    Couldn't agree more on this. People specially in India make lot of noise but never do anything or even attempt to bring any change.

    ReplyDelete